I was impressed with a friend’s hacked artist’s box which was turned into a case for their Dominion game, so I thought I would make one for my Carcasssonne games.
I started by buying a cheap wooden wine box, for three bottles of wine, which measured 36cm by 30cm by 10cm.
I gave this a quick light sanding when it arrived and a wipe down to give a nice clean surface to decorate.
I then printed out a Carcassonne vector file from BoardGameGeek: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87040/carcassonne-icons-and-logos-mostly-vector and used it to transfer the design to the top of the box, first in pencil then going over the pencil lines with an ultrafine Sharpie. There was a little bit of bleeding into the cheap wood, but I’m still pretty happy with it.
I then filled in the letters with a brown Sharpie.
I added a ring of multi-coloured meeple on the base since it will be stored stood up (and because it made me smile).
It was finished with a couple of coats of clear matt varnish (sprayed on rather than using a brush). That was the outside done.
I got some small muslin bags, and after washing and drying them, used Sharpies to draw on meeple, pigs, builders, etc. (remembering to keep some card inside the bag to prevent the ink transferring from one side of the bag to the other).
I then took some 5mm black foam board and cut it (using a craft knife) to make dividers within the main wooden dividers for the main game and each of the expansions.
A plastic folder was then fixed to the inside of the lid using self-adhesive velcro tabs, and all of the instructions and the scoring board were placed inside. I also made crib sheets for the expansions for new players to refer to (differences in point scoring, if you get another go, etc.).
Some eggbox foam cut to size for each three sections, and a flightcase handle screwed on and it was good to go. Shown with the basic game, river, inns & cathedrals, traders & builders, princess & dragon and abbey & mayor expansions, with room for more (and Chrimble coming up).